Ballybricken Bohermore GAA Banner image
Home About Us Downloads Fixtures & Results Photo Gallery News & Lotto Interactive History
Latest News
Club Lotto

Latest Ballybricken-Bohermore GAA News

Club News week commencing Sept 17th


Intermediate Hurlers played Caherline in the Intermediate Relegation final on Sunday last in Hospital. Bally started with the breeze and got off to the ideal start with a well taken Goal from Michael Wilkinson, followed by a point from Mark O’Dea. Bally continued to rally with a long range point from James Frawley and another point from Michael Wilkinson before Caherline registered their first points mid-way into the half converting 2 frees. Both sides exchanged scores with James Frawley putting over another long range effort and Caherline responded converting another free. Bally’s backs continued to work hard and kept clearly their lines feeding good ball into the forward and we were perhaps unlucky not to a get a second goal late into the half when a ground strike from Joe Teefy skimmed the outside of the post. Mark O’D  Dea was then taken down on route for goal late into the half earning a free which Michel Wilkinson Converted. However it was Caheline that got the last score of the half and their first point from play leaving the scoreline 1-5 to 0-4 in Bally’s favor at half time. Bally then started the second half in similar fashion with a well-executed goal from Stephen Frawley. However the tide then turned in Caherlines favor and they rallied, converting 3 free’s, a goal and another 3 points from play and went a point ahead mid-way into the half. Pat McElliott put his body on the line to stop an inevitable goal taking a knock but managed to recover keeping Bally in the game. James Frawley was then taken down, picking up an injury and the awarded free was converted by Michael Wilkinson drawing the  sides level again. James unable to play on was replaced by Damien Brown. Caherline however came back into it again and got 2 more points from play deep into the half. Bally then battled hard and were awarded a short range free which Michael Wilkinson struck for goal with conviction but was denied by the crossbar and Caherline managed to clear their lines. In the end it was not to be and the match ended 2-6 to 1-11 in Caherlines favor despite a good overall team effort and performance. Team: Pat McElligott, Sean Browne, John McElligott, Eoin Lyons, Paul Martin, Stephen Frawley, Kevin Ryan, Mark O Dea, Mark McGuire, Darragh Martin, James Frawley, Michael Wilkinson, Joseph Teefy, Liam McElligott, Darragh Lyons, Damien Brown. As the year has now ended, the club would like to thanks Frank Houlihan and selectors for their hard work and commitment throughout the year.

Junior B Hurlers played Cappamore in Murroe on Tuesday evening last in the county semi-final.  Bally put in an excellent team performance and by half time were leading by 2-7 to 0-4. Cappamore upped their performance in the second half but we continued to work hard and despite been outscored in the second half,  the work done and the margin built up in the first half paid dividends and we came away deserved winners on the night, final score 2-9 to 0-8 in Bally’s favor. We are now through to the county final against Doon, but the date and venue has yet to be confirmed.  

Minor Hurlers and footballers (Naomh Brid) were also in action last week. The Hurlers played the long awaited match against South Liberties in the County semi-final on Thursday evening last in Caherconlish. Our young team put in a good committed performance but were beaten on the night against a very strong South Liberties side. Our Minor Footballers then met Ahane in the East Final on Sunday evening last in Murroe. Playing against the elements in the first half we trailed 2-1 to 0-2 at half time. However it was Ahane that started the strongest in the second half and despite a late resurgence from Naomh Brid , Ahane came away victors on the night.

U12 Footballers brought their season to an end last Saturday when we played Shamrock Gaels in the County Finals day at UL. This group have played some lovely football during the year and once again displayed some great skills and heart when running out convincing winners in what was at times a stormy encounter !! Bally started on the front foot and were settled by 2 early points from Darragh Hogan. We kept up the pressure and with Niall Mitchell and Daniel Owens dictating matters from mid field the forwards had a good supply of quality ball resulting in goals for Jack Cross and Matthew Pender along with further points from Darragh Hogan and Aidan Walker. We went in at half time leading by 2-5 to 0-2 . Shamrock Gaels then upped their game and with an early goal and a point reduced the deficit to 5 points. However our defence then started to get on top . Ryan Hickey in goals was having a very solid game and with James Garvey dominating from full back Michael Martin and Colm O’Riordan put in some great tackles to keep the Shamrocks at bay. Patrick Byrnes at centre back pumped forward some quality ball to the forwards who took some top class scores the highlight of which was a fantastic goal for Daniel Owens after a lovely one two with Darragh Hogan. At full time Bally ended up very convincing winners on a score-line of 3-9 to 1-3. The coaches Brendan Cross, Jimmy Martin and Ken Hogan would like to thank all of the players and parents for their help and effort throughout what was a very successful season for the team. Squad Ciara Ryan, James Garvey, Niall Mitchell, Ryan Hickey, Daniel Owens, Cillian O’Brien, Jack Cross, Darragh Hogan, Matthew Pender, Patrick Byrnes, Cathal Breen, Michael Martin, Colm O’Riordan, Katie O’Riordan, Aidan Walker, Scott McEvoy.

Welcome Home Night.  A welcome home night for Paralympian Shane Ryan will be held on Saturday next, September 22nd at 8.30pm in the GAA Clubhouse, Caherelly. Please come along and show your support for Shane. All are welcome.